The kids and I traveled through Mexico last summer and had the best time exploring authentic Mexican food culture. We ate at fancy restaurants, took educational food tours, but perhaps the most delicious experiences were with street food vendors. My son’s most favorite street food was the sweet taste of a Mexican fruit cup smothered with Mexican yogurt made with condensed milk. Bionicos became his absolute favorite treat in Mexico! If there was a cart of Bionicos near me, I bought him a cup. So now that we’re home, I decided to create our Bionico recipe so he can enjoy the delicious flavors of Mexico at home in Southern California.
What are Bionicos?
Bionicos is a Mexican dessert found throughout Mexico but originating in Jalisco in the 1990s. Often a popular street food, Bionico de Fruta is a Mexican fruit salad with fruits chopped in cubes then drenched in a creamy Mexican sweet cream recipe for fruit. Finally, the fruit cups are topped with a variety of granolas, shredded coconut, dried fruits (such as raisins), pecans and often honey.
How to make Bionicos
I’m all about recipes that celebrate our Latino culture and when they’re easy enough to bring the kids into the kitchen to cook with me, that’s a big plus. This Mexican fruit cocktail recipe checks both of those boxes and is really quick to make! In fact, when learning how to make Bionicos, think about the recipe in layers…
- Chopped Fruit: strawberries and papaya are very typical, but the variations are limitless and often vary according to the season.
- Mexican yogurt: made with sweetened condensed milk. Recipe below!
- Toppings: gives the Mexican fruit salad crunch and savory flavors.
You can print the Bionico recipe below, but here is a list of the ingredients you’ll need for your Mexican fruit salad. Remember to mix things up according to the season and the fruit you have on hand! In the fall, fruits can include apples and pears or berries and mangoes in the summer. Or, set up a variety of fruit on a platter and create a Bionicos bar where everyone can create their own perfect Mexican fruit cocktail salad recipe.
Mexican Fruit Cups
- ½ Cup Strawberries
- ½ Cup Cantaloupe
- ½ Cup Papaya
- ½ Cup Pineapple
- 1/4 Sour cream
- 1/4 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Condensed Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Chopped Pecans
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut
Bionico Cream Recipe
Find out how to make Bionico cream below. It couldn’t be easier. Print out the recipe and let your kids mix it all together and pour over the fruit salad.
- Dice your fruit and combine in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine your sour cream, condensed milk, vanilla, and yogurt. Mix well.
- Scoop yogurt mixture, evenly, into the bottom of two serving bowls, leaving about ¼ cup in the bowl.
- Top with an even mixture of the fruit.
- Sprinkle the rest of the yogurt mixture on top of the fruit in each bowl.
- Top the fruit bowls with raisins, pecans, granola, and coconut. (Honey if desired.)
Our Favorite Mexican Desserts Recipes
Authentic Chiles Toreados Recipe
Apple and Raisan Empanadas
Churro Cereal Bites